PROPERTY was damaged in an early morning fire at a house in Ashton today (Friday, January 7).
People living on Store Street, just off Oldham Road, were awoken by the sound of fire engines arriving to deal with the blaze, which broke out in the roof space of an end terraced property.
Several homeowners were later evacuated as a precaution and The Correspondent witnessed officers carrying scorched and damaged property out of the building.
The fire broke out at about 7am and engines from four of the area’s stations, plus the aerial platform from Manchester, rushed to put it out.
A statement from Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service said: “At approximately 7am on Friday, January 7, firefighters were called to reports of a fire at a terraced property on Store Street in Ashton-under-Lyne.
“Fire engines from Ashton, Oldham, Stalybridge and Chadderton fire stations, alongside the aerial appliance from Manchester Central station, quickly attended the scene.
“The fire involved the roof space of an end terraced house.
“A number of houses on the street have been evacuated as a safety precaution.
“Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus have extinguished the fire using hose reel jets, an aerial ladder and other specialist equipment.”