Warning issued regarding candles following house fire in Mottram

A MAN was helped to safety after a knocked over candle caused a fire in his home.

In the early hours of Tuesday, October 6, a crew from Hyde Community Fire Station attended a house fire in Shaw Street, Mottram.

Photo courtesy of Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue

On arrival at 12.47am firefighters found a fire in the living room, which is believed to have been caused by a candle placed on a table which was accidentally knocked over.

Firefighters wearing two breathing apparatus used a hose reel, a fan and a thermal imaging camera to extinguish the blaze.

The crew was in attendance for approximately 30 minutes.

Head of prevention, area manager Paul Duggan said: “Thanks to the quick-thinking actions of our crew at Hyde this incident was under control within a short amount of time and prevented further damage.

“Candles can be dangerous, and we know that as winter fast approaches they are used more often. Reduce your risk of causing a fire by reading over our candle fire safety advice on our website.”

Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS) recommends that you:

  • Never leave a candle unattended and remember to extinguish it before you go asleep.
  • Make sure the candle is standing up straight and is firmly fixed in a proper holder so it cannot fall over. Scented candles turn to liquid to release their fragrance, so always burn them in a suitable glass or metal container that will not leak the liquid and can withstand the heat from it.
  • Always place candles on a heat resistant surface. Nightlights and tealights can melt plastic surfaces, such as the top of the television and the side of a bathtub.
  • Keep candles out of draughts, blowing curtains and sources of heat or direct sunlight.
  • Always leave at least 10cm between two candles and never place them under shelves or other surfaces.
  • Extinguish candles before they burn into holders.
  • Burn all candles well out of reach of children and pets.
  • Always put candles out before you move them. Using a ‘snuffer’ or a spoon is safer than blowing them out, which can send sparks and hot wax flying.
  • Consider an extra smoke alarm in the rooms where you burn candles.
  • Never use outdoor candles indoors.
  • Never lean across a candle – you could set your hair or clothes on fire.
  • Never play with candles.

Paul continued: “A working smoke alarm can give you vital time to escape if a fire did occur in your home. Make sure you have a working smoke alarm on every floor of your home.”

For more home safety advice visit the GMRFS website.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *