Curry house fined for using outdoor heaters indoors

A CURRY house and its boss have been ordered to pay out more than £8,500 after stupidly using outdoor patio heaters indoors.

Bridgefield Curry Lounge on High Street in Stalybridge, close to the border with Dukinfield, failed to heed repeated warnings from Tameside Council environmental health officers after spot checks revealed the devices were being used within its indoor dining rooms.

The label on the heaters stated the devices were for outdoor use only and that use of the appliance within a closed space was prohibited.

Bridgefield Curry Lounge

The issue was first raised in December 2014 when council officers discussed the matter with restaurant director Malik Abdul and followed this up with a warning letter.

A further visit in March 2015 found the patio heaters were still being used indoors.

Later that month, an environmental health officer and the environmental services manager visited the premises and spoke to Mr Abdul.

A legal notice was served the next day prohibiting the use of the heaters inside the premises.

But in February 2019 a complaint was received from a member of the public who had visited the restaurant and sat next to the heater and said that as a result they felt unwell.

A visit was made to the restaurant by two environmental health officers who found a patio heater was in use inside the premises.

Both the restaurant and Mr Abdul, as its director, were charged with breaching health and safety regulations with regards to customers and staff.

And at Tameside Magistrates’ Court on September 13, Mr Abdul pleaded guilty to the charges.

Magistrates imposed a £6,000 fine on the restaurant, with a victim surcharge of £190. Mr Abdul was fined £1,459, with a victim surcharge of £145. He was also ordered to pay £1,000 costs.

Tameside Council Executive Member responsible for environmental enforcement Cllr Allison Gwynne said: “Most businesses are happy to work with our officers to ensure they comply with regulations to keep their staff and customers safe.

“However, when they fail to heed warnings and breach legal notices, we will take the necessary action to protect the public.

“In this case, the restaurant was given repeated opportunities to comply to ensure the safety of its diners and employees but it continued the use of the outdoor heaters indoors, putting people at risk and unfortunately leading to a customer feeling unwell as a result of the breach.

“I’m pleased the court recognised the seriousness of the breach and imposed fines accordingly.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.